2012/2013 SCHOOL YEAR
It's the busiest time of the year for the Guidance Office as we help our seniors and our incoming freshman with their transitions. We are very excited to meet all of our new pirates and happy to see our seniors taking the next big step in life! Please check this page regularly as important Guidance Department announcements, deadlines, and the like will be posted here.
04/23/2013 - Senior Announcements
- Senior Awards program is May 9th @ 7:00 in the New Gym.
- Students will receive letters if they are to be honored at this event (letters will be sent out on or before May 1st)
- If you have awards or scholarships you want announced you MUST provide this information to Elysia Lewis in the Guidance Office NO LATER than Wednesday, May 1st. Email submissions are absolutely fine (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Seniors wishing to submit artwork for use in the commencement program must submit the work to Elysia Lewis in the Guidance office (preferably in a digital format such as a .pdf if possible) NO LATER than Thursday, May 23rd. PLEASE NOTE: Final decisions as to whether or not your artwork is included is based on space and content of the art work, it is possible that not all submissions will be included in the program.
03/06/2013 - Algebra 1 Test Date Set
- For those students not attending one of the local elementary schools the test date and time for the Algebra 1 placement test is as follows: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 in room E2 from 9:00 - 11:00 AM
03/08/2013 - Valley Foundation Scholarship
- Any seniors applying to the valley foundation scholarship MUST see Mrs. Lewis ASAP! They have their own application that I was unaware of until today. Please use this application when applying for their scholarship. If you have already sent in your application DON'T PANIC you are fine, just send them a letter of recommendation by the postmark deadline of March 13, 2013!
- Find an electronic version of the application here
02/01/2013 - College Representative Visit scheduled
- FIDM visit scheduled for Friday, February 1, 2013 in the Guidance Office conference room @ 9:30
02/21/2013 - Local Scholarship Application Packets
Packets available in the Guidance Office
Please NOTE: The address for Los Rancheros Visitadores scholarship has changed, the new address is taped to the front of the applications (if not see Mrs. Lewis); also, for the Danish Brotherhood scholarships please address all materials to Mr. Bill Villa NOT AARON VILLA.
01/18/2013 - SB Scholarship Foundation DEADLINE approaching
- Application deadline FOR ALL MATERIALS is January 31, 2013
- Don't forget your two letters of reccommendation (try to give the recommenders a week to complete the letter)
01/11/2013 - DRESS UP DAYS ALL NEXT WEEK
- Show your school spirit by participating in the ASB sponsored dress-up days to support winter homecoming next week!
- Monday - Pajama Day (School Dress Code Policy STILL APPLIES)
- Tuesday - Twin (Pick a friend and dress the same)
- Friday - Pirate Pride (Orange and Black)
12/06/2012 - AP Exam Registration UPDATE
- AP exam fees should be submitted to Mrs. Lewis in the Guidance Office
- PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO SYVUHS
- Payments can be accepted at break, lunch, or after school
12/06/2012 - AP Exam Registration/Fee Information
11/2/2012- Summer Leadership Program for 2013/2014 Seniors
- Mercy College of New York is offering a Summer Leadership Program for students who will be seniors in the 2013/2014 school year.
- Program is held from June 17-21, 2013
- Program gives seniors an insiders look at the financial, advertising, and entrepreneurial industries of New York city.
- Students must be nominated by their principal and nomination DOES NOT GUARANTEE acceptance. Students must go through an interview process (via phone/video).
- In order to qualify for nomination students must be highly motivated and have a GPA of no less than 3.6
- Please see Mrs. Lewis in the Guidance Office if interested in nomination.
- Nomination deadline is FEBRUARY 1, 2013
11/02/2012 - Allan Hancock College "College Now"
- Students currently enrolled in the "College Now" program through AHC are required to attend a meeting November 20, 2012 @ 11:20 in the Little Theater in order to get their enrollment and registration materials for their 2nd semester courses.
- Please remember enrollment in the 2nd semester is required
- "College Now" program enrollment opens November 27, 2012 with on-line registration begining January 7, 2013
- If you have any questions please contact Mrs. Lewis in the Guidance Office ext 3208 or email@example.com
11/02/2012 - College Fairs in full swing!
English Version Versión en español
10/22/2012- Sophomore Parent Meeting
- For those of you who missed our Sophomore parent meeting last week you can find the powerpoint slides here. As always, please feel free to contact the guidance office with any questions you may have.
Sophomore Parent Night Presentation
10/16/2012 - Santa Barbara Scholarship Foundation
- Deadlines for many of the specialty scholarship programs (music, art, creative writing, etc) are fast approaching! Most of the deadlines for these programs are NOVEMBER 15, 2012! To get an application or more information, visit the foundation's website at www.sbscholarship.org
09/19/2012 - Scholarship Guide
- The 2012/2013 Scholarship handbook has now been posted to our new "Scholarship Information" page. This is not an exhaustive list of all the scholarships available to you, do your research there are thousands of scholarship opportunities out there!
- The Local Scholarship Program listed in this guidebook will not be available until the beginning of Jan/Feb 2013. I will post the applications and instructions under the scholarship information page as soon as it is available. Students may also come into the guidance office to pick up a paper copy.
- In addition to these two scholarship resources please check the daily bulletin on our website as I post any additional scholarship information that comes into our office here.
- Any questions please contact Mrs.Lewis @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 688-6487 ext 3208.
9/12 SENIOR PARENT NIGHT & SENIOR GROUP GUIDANCE
- Senior Parent Night will be held Wednesday, September 19, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the Little Theatre. The evening will focus on college choices, application process, dates, deadlines, financial aid and more. The following week, September 25 and 26, Senior Group Guidance will will held in English classes. Much of the same material covered in Senior Parent Night will be explained in these sessions. Students will spend half of the class period receiving this information and the other half working on computer sites helpful in the college application process. For more information on each event, click below:
SENIOR PARENT NIGHT
SENIOR GROUP GUIDANCE SCHEDULE
SENIOR PARENT NIGHT POWERPOINT PRESENTATION
08/2012 - Schedule Changes
- The last day for course LEVEL CHANGES is September 26, 2012. Please schedule an appointment with your counselor by signing up with Mrs.Rick in the Guidance Office before school, after school or during the breaks. NO SIGN-UPS will be accepted during class times.
- The last day to change your elective courses was AUGUST 6, 2012. NO elective change requests will be accepted after this date.
08/2012 - Hancock Registration for History, Econ and Poli Sci
- All students who requested, and qualified for, Allan Hancock College classes in History (107 or 108), Econ 101 or Poli Sci 103 were mailed registration information earlier this summer. The first day to go online and register for these classes was August 6. These classes are currently full, although students who missed the deadline can attempt to add their names to the wait list. Hancock classes begin Monday, August 20 (both History classes and Poli Sci). Econ begins Wednesday, August 22.
07/2012 - SYVUHS Registration
Students, please remember that registration is either Wednesday or Thursday of this week from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in front of the Business Office! Don't forget to bring all the necessary paperwork, especially your STUDENT DATA CARD. Your course schedules will not be released unless you return this card.
- Juniors/Seniors: WEDNESDAY, JUNE 25, 2012
- Freshmen/Sophomores: THURSDAY, JULY 26, 2012
5/2012 - SBCC & Hancock College Registration
- Seniors planning on attending SBCC or Allan Hancock College begining in the Summer or Fall of 2012 should be registering now. Please visit the links below or come into the Guidance Office for more information.